Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver


     It has been a while since I have found  a hard-to-put-down book.  Before I Fall  is  Lauren Oliver's first novel and it's very addicting.   Popular high schooler Samantha Kingston dies in a car crash but it's a mystery why she keeps reliving the last day of her life.    Her impending death makes an impact on her and she begins to see things from a different perspective.  She learns more about her friends, family, schoolmates and herself in ways she did not see before. 

photo from amazon.com
      It felt nice to relive high school over again, this time through the eyes of a popular girl.  I was kind of a wallflower then and I have never known high school to be like that ...  bullying, sex, cutting class, drinking.    Reading about it makes me afraid of what my high school son, M, could be going through.  Yikes!
      The book made me reflect about death; knowing you are about to die changes things.  It makes you think about what kind of memory you would leave behind, what things you'd miss.  It reminded me to savor the moment and appreciate being alive.
       


Rating:
5 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment